How to Enter
Fill in the application form to apply to be part of this year’s competition. Make sure to give as much information on your experience as possible with up to date contact information so its easy for us to contact you.
So You Think You’re Funny? is the longest running and most established competition of its kind. To celebrate the competition’s 30th anniversary, the producers are starting a new version of the competition for sketch groups!
The Gilded Balloon are committed to nurturing young comic talent and will endeavour to support all winners and finalists with mentoring and touring possibilities in the year following the Final. As well as this the winner will receive…
- A co-produced run as part of the Gilded Balloon’s Fringe programme in 2018
- Complimentary head shot shoot by professional photographer to the stars, Steve Ullathorne
- Complimentary filmed copy and professional photographs of their spot from the Final to use in their show-reel
- Mentorship and support from Karen Koren and the So You Think You’re Funny? Sketch team
2017 Key Dates:
24th April : Applications open – fill in application form to enter.
July: Heats – 4th, 11th, 18th July at 2 Northdown, London.
August: Final held on 16th August at the Gilded Balloon as part of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
- The sketch group must not have performed together before 1 August 2015.
- The sketch group and individuals must be unsigned from any comedy agent or management company.
- The sketch group must not have performed or plan to perform in a solo/sketch show at Edinburgh Festival Fringe. If you have, you are probably too experienced.
- The sketch group’s material must be completely original.
- The sketch group must have 7 minutes of their own original material. You should use the same material throughout the competition, judges do not want you to change it unless it is minor tweaks.
- The organisers reserve the right to select all entrants. Decisions taken by the organisers and judges are final.
Applicants will be invited to the Heats held in London in July. The SYTYF? Sketch Producers will be in touch to arrange which heat you will be part of in June. Winners from the Heats will be invited to attend the Final in Edinburgh during August.
The So You Think You’re Funny? Sketch Final will be held on 16th August at the Gilded Balloon. Winners from each heat and wild card finalists will perform up to 7 minutes of original material.
The Final will be judged by industry experts which will be announced closer to August.
Got a question?
If you aren’t sure whether you or someone in the competition is eligible or not, please do not contact us anonymously once the line-up for the heats have been announced.
However, we’d love to hear from you if you have any questions or suggestions. Although we hope that all applicants are honest in their applications, we can’t do as much research on applicants backgrounds as we’d like. Get in touch here.
There is a maximum of 6 slots per showcase, once they are full they are full. Apply early in order to secure your place!